Saturday, May 29, 2010

God in the midst of Frustration...

I have to be honest, I didn't post last week because I was frustrated and discouraged and since this blog is supposed to serve the purpose of being a place of encouragement I wasn't sure how to express how I saw God in the middle of it all and be encouraging at the same time! I hope that now that I have had some time to reflect I can do that!

This past week I was frustrated with quite a few things; myself because I overbooked myself, my kids because they fought a lot, my husband's business, and most of all seeing the potential in people that I've lovingly invested in and then seeing them completely give up and give in to bad choices. This last frustration has had my attention for a few days. Thinking about it has saddened me and caused me to wonder if it's worth it anymore?

Have you ever prayed hard for someone or a family for a whole year, opened your home to them, taken whatever opportunity God gave you to love them well and point them toward Him? Seen them move in God's direction and seek Him for themselves? Watched family relationships begin to be restored? And then in one week see it all unravel as the person slips back into thinking they can do it on their own without God? I have and it breaks my heart to see the potential and have it gone. So where I saw God this week was in the question, are people worth the investment? It was as if He was asking me, would you do it again? I am ashamed to say I didn't answer yes right away. It took me a few days to wrap my mind around what He was asking me. But I sit here today and say yes because I did it out of obedience and love for God and He is always worth it!

People are worth the investment even if loving them well means getting hurt when you see them ruin their lives with bad decisions. Here's the thing, as I rewind the tape of my interactions with them I see many moments of being able to share God's love and even if they ultimately want nothing more to do with Him, at least they got a glimpse, a taste, of what could be. And I hope that maybe someday they will change their minds and remember that taste of what could be. Perhaps I was there to plant a seed or water one and may never see the harvest. I need to learn to be ok with that because it means that someone else hopefully will have the joy of helping with the harvest.

I don't know who needs to hear this today, but you know who you are. Continue to love others well and invest in them wherever God leads you and be content and thankful to serve Him this way even if you don't see the joy of the harvest. As it says in John 4:36-37 "Already he who reaps is receiving wages and it is gathering fruit for life eternal;so that he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together. For in this case the saying is true, 'One sows and another reaps'".

How about you? Where have you seen God in your frustrations?

2 comments:

  1. Amen,Erica, I've struggled with this on a deep, heart-breaking level; it's taken some time, lots of prayer, Spirit, and the Word...as well as a dear sister of mine to sort this out. This is some of what I've learned over the past year.

    I read something in Beth Moore's book, "David: 90 Days with a Heart Like His." The Prophet Samuel had dedicated his entire life as a servant of the Lord for Israel, and the people reject Samuel and his sons, saying that they want a king to rule over them just like all the other nations.

    God's reply: 1Samuel 8:7 "Hearken to the voice of the people in all they say to you: For they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me, that I should not be King over them."

    Beth Moore wrote, "None of us enjoys rejection, but when we are serving Christ, any rejection falls to His broad shoulders rather than our narrow ones."

    When we walk in the Light of Truth, we'll have those who are drawn to the Light and those who shrink from It. When we've invested our lives, our love in those who shrink back, it's hard not to feel rejected as well.

    During the Olympics, the Holy Spirit put this question to me, "If you are a representative for the Kingdom of God in the Olympics, are you running the race to win the gold, silver, or bronze for Jesus, or are you just happy to get in?"

    "I press on to lay hold of and make my own, that for which Christ Jesus has laid hold of me and made me His own. One thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,I press on toward the goal to win the prize to which Christ Jesus is calling me upward. Let those of us who are spiritually mature and full-grown have this mind and hold these convictions...let us hold true to what we have already attained, walk and order our lives by that." Philippians 3:12

    Keep your eyes forward, looking at Jesus only, and run the race set before you as if you're going for the gold. That's what we need to do; He'll do the rest. Amen!

    Love,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often felt why do I bother, yet I remember why when I think of how Jesus bothered he could have said the heck with them why should I give up my life they made their mistakes let them pay for them.

    That's not what he did he paid the price with his life.
    Because of his great love for us and he commands us to love others as he loves us and its our reasonable sacrifice as it says in his word we need to be obedient and ready to give an answer to those who either have never heard or those who have and need encouragement.
    God shows up in places we least expect him to and because of it we are both surprised and blessed, and for this I am grateful, because I need him everyday!

    ReplyDelete