Sunday, June 27, 2010

God in the Middle of All Circumstances....

I haven't posted in a couple of weeks because life has been happening at a record pace and I have been trying to keep up with it. I also haven't posted because finding God in my every day has not been an easy task lately since He hasn't shown up in extremely obvious and happy or exciting circumstances. So I am left with the question do I only want to recognize Him as being there in the middle of the good times, the ordinary times, and the exciting times? Or am I willing to acknowledge that He is there in the confusing times, stressful times, bad times, and sad times?

These past few weeks have been a mix of good days with difficulties or sadnesses mixed in. And the places God has shown up the most have been in the difficulties. He may not have shown up in the way I would have liked Him to, but He was there and that's what mattered most.

I saw God at the park with a little boy who wanted to take a picture with his new camera of his friends so he could remember that day before he moves. I saw God's peace embrace a friend whose heart was in turmoil up until that moment when we prayed together. I saw God use a backed up septic pipe and a flooded basement to distract me from the dread of an upcoming trip, by allowing a huge mess that took all day to clean up and left me exhausted. I saw God use a cancer diagnosis of a loved one to remind me of how much I love that person,how much I take her for granted, and to remind me of the power of prayer. Last night I saw God in a Pastor's last church service before he moves on in obedience to God's call. I saw Him in the love that was there between the church and it's Pastor, reminding me and giving me an earthly example of Christ's love for the church. The places I have seen God have not been without tears. But I would rather know He is there than not.
How about you? Can you see Him even in the hard times? And can you appreciate that He's there even if He is allowing those hard times to happen?

For those of you reading this that are my friends please don't call and say your worried about me and ask how I am. I am fine. I just needed to be honest because we don't serve a God who only shows up in the ways we want Him to with blessings and no sadness. But it's in our most difficult times that we see just how strong and how loving our God is! And if I must have some sadness or difficulty in this life than I'd much rather have Him there with me than not!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erica,

    Well written. I know exactly what you're talking about. Life is hard; where is the abundant life Jesus came to give us? If we are going to be honest, this doesn't quite feel like it, does it?

    My Scripture of the Day for today reads: John 10:10 "The thief comes only to steal, kill, and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it in abundance."

    My thought: 'Why has Jesus married those two comments?' Jesus has bought us abundant life, but he's also saying that it's not going to be easy because there is a theif loose, desiring to steal, kill, and destroy God's children, God's image bearers. We are a people at war; we are swimming upstream against the current of the world.

    All these barrages are not from God and often, if we are honest, they've gotten through because we've allowed a door, a crack, a foothold for our enemy to get in. What does Satan really want to steal, kill, and destroy? Our hearts. He assualts our hearts daily in the hope that we'll lose heart because our hearts are the well-spring of that abundant life Jesus bought for us.

    Proverb 4:23 'Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the well spring of life.'

    Erica, two things...Your heart is good;your heart is a precious pearl to your Father and Lord Jesus. I praise God that you see Him even in the midst of spiritual warfare so that you will not lose heart, my sister! This is a great message. Thank you for posting it. I know it was difficult.

    For in all my circumstances, whether in want or prosperity, I am content. For I have found the Key in Him who empowers me. Jesus!

    Love you, sister,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete