Wednesday, September 29, 2010

God at the Library...

A few days ago I took my girls to the local library for a home school book club. The goal was to find them friends nearby that share similar experiences, like homeschooling or cyber schooling because most of their friends live 20 minutes away. It's never an easy thing for me to bring myself to a social setting like this. Both the girls and I tend to be a little bit shy in new social settings. But nonetheless we went.

While the girls went to their separate activities I sat at a table with other parents just waiting. Some were talkative others just sat there, like me. As I sat there I watched people come in and out of the library and I noticed that there was a woman with a head scarf on headed right for me. She and her husband sat at the table with me and started asking me all kinds of questions about where I live and what kind of schooling I do, how many kids I have, and their ages. I really enjoyed talking to her but I couldn't get the head scarf out of my mind I figured she must be a Muslim.

So while we were talking I was having an inner conversation with God that went something like this: " I know I wanted friends for the girls but this may be more than I can handle. What do I do if we become friends? How do I share life with her when our beliefs are so different? You know YOU will eventually come up in conversation, how will that go?" Anyway, I enjoyed my time getting to know her a little bit. At the end of the day's activities we parted and I went home.

That night as I lay in bed I had the same questions racing through my mind so I asked God to show me what His thoughts were and went to sleep. I woke up the next day and found an email from a ministry I support. It was about Islam and it challenged me with John 3:16-17 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that it might be saved through him." There was my answer. I saw God in the library this week and He challenged me to love a Muslim and be her friend in order to point her to him.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, this woman is precious in God's eyes. It is great how God connects us with people of all different walks of life. He stretches us and challenges us through it all!

    ReplyDelete