Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Contentment

One more day until Thanksgiving... what are you thankful for?

These past couple of weeks I have seen God in the challenge of raising two little girls to be thankful and content with what they have in a world culture that says they have to have more. He has used them to point out areas in my own life in which I need to stop complaining about what isn't going well and reflect and take joy in what IS going well. My struggle is not with wanting more material things but it can often be with wanting more down time, more quiet, less housework, less obligations, etc. It's still discontent and if I don't deal with it, can lead to complaining and a lack of gratitude for what I do have. So I see God challenging me as we soon will go from Thanksgiving to Christmas to NOT get caught up in having more of anything but to be grateful for what HE has already given me. So I will start to do this today by listing some things that I am thankful for and I hope that you will share with me what you are thankful for so that we can encourage each other by counting our blessings.

I am thankful for: (In random order)
1. God's correction through my children.
2. My family because they see me at my worst and love me anyway.
3. A life changing sermon and the Pastor that dared to preach it. It continues to challenge me and bless me every single week that I sit in the pew next to someone I never thought I would be sitting with in church!
4. In no particular order my closest friends you know who you are and you are loved.
5. My husband and my two girls each one a miracle and one of them born on Thanksgiving 6yrs ago... an annual in the flesh reminder of God's answers to prayer!

How about you?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Erica,

    Praise the Lord; you are blessed!

    Been thinking about this alot, too. Since the plaque on my wall quotes Psalm 150, "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!", I thought I shouldn't be such a hypocrite, right?

    Also, Jesus said in response to his disciples that were praising Him, "If I silence these, the stones themselves will cry out." Luke 19 So, I surely don't want a stone to beat me to something that's my right and priviledge. Praise and thanksgiving to our God!

    Top 5 Blessings of 2010:

    1. Jesus healing my heart and making it whole so I have a whole heart to give away to God.

    2. A deeper relationship with my Father, Lord, and Holy Spirit.

    3. Being married to my childhood sweetheart who I love madly, deeply, truly still after 22 years.

    4. An abundantly overflowing more than I ever hoped or dreamed house full of children that make me laugh much and keep me grounded on what is truly important.

    5. Being able to bring the Kingdom of God here on earth as it is in Heaven in any way, shape, or form that God can use me.

    Be Blessed and a Blessing, my sister! Thanks for your words and thoughts; keep writing.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete