Thursday, January 27, 2011

God in Tape Recording...

Today I went to put something in a box that I have. I use this box to hold things that are important. It has become a pretty big box over the years! As I was moving something in the box aside in order to put something else in it, I noticed a small tape player all the way in the back of the box with a cassette tape next to it.

I knew immediately what it was. I had put it in the back of the box because seeing it in the front made me sad. I hadn't listened to the tape in 5 years because it was too hard. But it caught my eye today and so I thought maybe I could handle listening to it this time, and so I did.

The tape is from the end of March, beginning of April in 2004. It's a recording I made at the nursing home of my grandpa sharing his stories. When I recorded it I had no idea that a month later he would die. I haven't listened to it because hearing his voice makes me wish he was here. Today I listened and laughed through some of the familiar stories he told and then I came to the last part of the tape. I had asked him if he could give my daughter any advice what would it be. (She was 4 at the time.) His response is what has me here reflecting and blogging today. He said, "Make Jesus Christ your best friend."

So here I am reflecting on what that meant in his life, and what it means in mine. Think about it with me for a while... how do you treat your best friend? I hope with great love, admiration, and trust. Don't you just soak up every minute you can get with them? Aren't they the first one you go to for advice or to share good and bad news? Isn't your best friend someone you can be vulnerable with? Sit in silence with? Laugh hysterically with? Talk to without being judged? Share life with? And when you haven't talked to them in a while don't you find yourself missing them?

So when was the last time you couldn't wait to spend time with God in prayer and Bible study? When was the last time you were vulnerable with Him or ran to Him first with good or bad news instead of some other person? When was the last time you enjoyed the quiet with Him or shared a good laugh with Him? When you haven't spent time with Him do you miss Him?

Here's the thing about my grandpa, Jesus really was his best friend. It was evidenced by his life and the way he shared life with others. Today I saw God in a challenge to make sure for myself as well as my children that we truly make Jesus Christ our best friend.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how I could get through my day without talking to him and spending time with him in prayer on the days I dont my day is hecktic, and than I realize I didnt spend time talking to my best friend. He is and always will be my best friend and when I sit down pray , meditate on his word I feel blessed and peaceful. I find myself saying sometimes thanks for being there and for listening.

    ReplyDelete