Thursday, February 24, 2011

Haunted By A Kutless Song...

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about how many things in life are beyond my control. I suppose maybe I watch too much of the news on TV!

Globally, there are people protesting against their governments, demanding that their leaders step down. The price of oil and gasoline are quickly climbing because of it. Our National government can't reach an agreement on it's budget. Our state governments want to do away with unions. Our school district wants to cut 88 teachers. My husband most likely will be one of them. And that is exactly what began my train of thought on how much is beyond my control.

I would be lying if I said I don't have any occasional moment of worry or fearful thought. But each time one begins God seems to come at it head on before I can even voice it to Him. Sometimes it's with a Bible verse, sometimes it's with a song. Lately it's been a Kutless song that keeps haunting me with the question it asks, so much so that I have been talking to God about it.

The song is titled " I'm Still Yours" and the lyrics that haunt me are:
" If all my world was swept away would You be enough for me? Would my beating heart still sing? If I lost it all would my hands stay lifted to the God who gives and takes away?" Then at the end of the song the lyrics say " Even if You take it all away You'll never let me go. Take it all away but I still know that I'm Yours. I'm Yours."

I have been asking God what He is trying to get at with this song. I have been asking Him for two weeks now! Today I put the CD on and listened to it in the car on my way to the grocery store. When the song was done, I heard Him say " Haven't we been down this road before?" "Don't you remember where we have been together?" I answered yes. I remembered and interestingly enough it wasn't just how difficult that previous time was that I remembered, it was how He held me through it, how He taught me through it, and how it grew my faith.

In 2002 before my husband was a teacher, he was self employed and lost all of his work. Within one month, out of nowhere, we lost all of our income and I had a miscarriage. Those were some trying and sad times. But I look back on them today and I feel the sweetness of God's love and how He brought us through. That was the question He was asking me with that Kutless song. Did I remember where He and I have been together and that I am still His...

I know this will be cheesy to some of you, but I hope it made God smile. I couldn't help but put on the CD after my conversation with Him and give Him my answer in the form of another Kutless song that I sang along with since there wasn't anyone else but me riding in the car! It is the song "Taken By Love" and the lyrics are: " The world will fade away as I lift my hands. The King is worthy of praise, is the great I AM. The joy You've given rings out as I lift my voice. I'm captivated by Your ways, so I will worship You. You've taken me by love. You've taken me by grace. You've taken me away, I can't resist because You've taken my heart."

So today I saw God in the reminder to remember where He and I have been. Remembering what God brings us through gives us hope, strength,and courage for the journey that lies ahead of us. How about you? Where have you been with Him? What do you need to remember for your journey? Don't forget who you belong to!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Erica and reminding me too! that I need to look at where I've come from and how God got me through. School especially my computer class is a challenge right now, so I need to call on Him more, and not let fear or doubt come over me. Because Greater is He that is in me, not the fear that wants to freeze me or give me panic attacks. I'm glad as an older song goes "His Child and Forever I am!"

    ReplyDelete