Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Child's Prayer....

I have been challenged and comforted by something one of my children said in a prayer. It has provided me with a couple of days worth of reflection. We were finished having our family devotions and it was her turn to pray. We have been asking God regularly to save my husband's job or to lead him to a new one. So it wasn't a surprise when our oldest asked God for this, but after the asking was done she said, "And help us to be okay because we have You." This last part of her prayer has kept me busy in my thoughts here lately.

Have you watched the news? Did you see the tsunami, earthquake, and the potential nuclear disaster in Japan? What about the uprisings in the Middle East and the U.S. getting involved in what is going on in Libya? Are you aware of the battles going on state by state and within in the federal government over finances? These things too have grabbed a hold of my thoughts lately because the decisions being made by those in power will effect our lives and the lives of our children years to come.

It seems that wherever I go I am plagued by people I don't know who want to share their opinion with me about world events as well as what is going on here in our area with the government budgets. These people I come in contact with are very opinionated about things and it's not easy to listen too. There are moments when I feel like nothing will change for the better in this world we live in, it will only get worse. But in those moments I hear my daughter's prayer, "And help us to be okay because we have You."

So I started to talk to God about these words. It's true, I know that we will be okay because we have God and He will see us through. It may not be easy but we will be okay. But what exactly does okay mean? I turned on my music today as I drove to the store and a certain song started to play in the middle of all of this thinking I was doing. It's by a group called Addison Road. Some of the words are: "If everything comes down to love then just what am I afraid of. When I call out your name something inside awakes in my soul. How quickly I forget I'm Yours. I'm not my own I've been carried by You all my life. Everything rides on hope now. Everything rides on faith somehow. When the world has broken me down. Your love sets me free." To be okay we must remember who we belong to.

We will not be alone or forgotten by our God. No matter what decisions are made by those in authority that directly effect our lives, God is our hope. He has promised to be with us always. (Matthew 28:20).

I encourage you to choose to remember with me that God loves you and has not left you alone in the middle of whatever you are going through right now. And to my precious daughter, we ARE okay BECAUSE we have God and thank you for making me think!

No comments:

Post a Comment