Thursday, March 17, 2011

God In My Man...

This week I saw God in a sacrifice my husband made. He came home from work with a lovely surprise for me!

I am a busy wife and mom. Sometimes I do my job well and sometimes I don't. Some weeks I keep my impatience at bay and my temper under control when tested by my kids, and sometimes I totally lose it and royally mess up with yelling or my bad attitude. I don't know about you but sometimes I can get too focused on the ways I mess up or even just a bad case of the grumbles and feel alone and unappreciated. When this happens I usually keep it to myself because I figure nobody else wants to hear me whine! But still, God knows...

I had been secretly scolding myself for losing my patience and temper the other day with one of the kids and yelling at them. My husband didn't know this at all when he came home with the surprise. It was a bouquet of pink carnations with a handwritten note that he had written me on his lunch break. It wasn't the flowers that made this so special. It was the fact that it wasn't a holiday, and he had bought them with the only extra money he had. This was money that he had specifically designated to use to go golfing this week. For those of you who know how much my husband loves golf, and understand that it would have been his first golf outing this season, you will understand the sacrifice he made! Not only that, but a hand written note! I have not had one of those unless it's in a card related to a holiday, since we dated! Even better yet was what he wrote in the note. He wrote that he appreciated me and that I am doing a good job with the kids. He didn't know it, but I needed that. But God knew I needed that...

This has me thinking about some things. I need to take better notice of the people around me at church, the store, wherever I am and not miss an opportunity to encourage them. How many people in my life have I recently neglected to show my appreciation to? How about you? How many times do we miss God prodding us to say something kind to someone because we are too busy? How many times are we quick to encourage the people who are always doing wonderful things that are outwardly noticeable, and miss the opportunity to encourage the person behind the scenes who is working just as hard? God knew I needed those words from my husband this week, and God knows when other people in our lives need kind words too. So I think I am going to make it a habit to ask God to show me who He knows needs a kind word. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment