Wednesday, March 2, 2011

God in the Response...

I have been thinking about what it is that sets a person who knows God apart from a person who does not during times of uncertainty and difficulty. I have been pondering the idea that people notice, maybe even are watching to see how the people around them are responding to whatever it is that is going on, and what an opportunity this is.

My husband comes home from work at least once a week with a story about how one of the teachers or staff at school is handling the potential teacher cuts in his district. There was one who went straight to the board documents site to find out where he was in the order of being hired so he could find out if he would be in the line up to be laid off. There have been quite a few ladies who have broke down crying in school.

There is a person in my life who asks me a bunch of questions about it every time I see her. These questions often lead her and I into a discussion about a long list of things that are out of control and financially difficult in her life no matter how hard or how long she works to pay for things. At some time during our visit together she always asks me "What will you do?". I always tell her that all I can do is pray and that it's in God's hands.

Even our children are watching us. They want to know what will happen if daddy loses his job. Last night when my youngest asked me this question I replied, " Have you ever been without food? Clothes? A roof over your head? Presents under the Christmas tree?" She answered no. Then I asked her "Where do we get all these things from?" She replied "God". So I reassured her that God will always take care of us even if daddy loses his job.

I share all of this not to make anyone worried about us. This is where we are at right now and I figure I might as well learn the most I can from it. What I am learning is that how a person acts or reacts with their actions or words is important. People are watching. My actions and my words paint a picture of how big or how little God is, and how much or how little I trust in Him. There are people out there watching and waiting to see what is so special about this God that you and I say we love and believe in. It's how we respond to moments like these in our lives that will either peak their curiosity about Him to the point of wanting a relationship with Him for themselves, or send them away believing that we are fake and so is our relationship with Him. And as for our children, I want them to learn and store away in their hearts images of their parents trusting God in difficult and uncertain times. Someday they will face these things on their own and how will they know how to respond if we don't set an example?

This week I see God in the challenge to paint an accurate portrait of Him in the way I respond to my circumstances through words and actions. I want to peak the curiosity of those around me so that they will want to know this God that enables me to be at rest and at peace in the midst of uncertain times. How about you? What message does your walk send? Who is watching you?

No comments:

Post a Comment