Thursday, April 28, 2011

Relationships...

This week we celebrated our 13th wedding anniversary. I normally don't blog about things like this. But it has me thinking about relationships. My relationship with my husband was prayed for. It happened because we were both asking God for the person He had for us, waiting on God to bring it about. As I look back over these past 13 years, I believe that I realize much better today than I did on my wedding day just how perfect we are for each other. I am not always easy to live with. In fact I was so strong willed at the time that we were about to get married that my dad warned my husband about how stubborn I can be! But God knew that He would use my husband to shape me and help me to be stubborn about the important things instead of being stubborn about most everything!

Funny enough one of the verses we chose to have read on our wedding day was Romans 11:33-36. "Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For who has known the mind of the LORD, or who became His counselor? Or who has first given to Him that it might be paid back to Him again? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen."

We chose these verses because we marveled at His ways and the ways in which He had brought us to each other. But now we marvel at His wisdom in bringing us together. At 13 years we are just truly beginning to see how He has molded us and shaped us in our marriage and is bringing our individual talents and gifts together to be used for His purposes.

This causes me to reflect on many other relationships in my life, particularly friendships. It's easy to be friendly with anyone. Most people you can at least have a small conversation with about spouses, the weather, children, jobs, church, or common interests and hobbies. But if I really think about it the best friendships I have are deeper than that and like my marriage, came about because God brought us together. They are the most valuable to me because I am being challenged by them to be a better wife, mother, friend, daughter, sister, and Christ follower. This is what Proverbs 27:17 means when it says " Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."

Isn't this the way we should be? Shouldn't our relationships with others be real enough and deep enough that it produces growth in us and in them? After all, isn't that real fellowship?

So today I see God in my relationships. I am blessed by the ones that He orchestrated, especially the one with my husband. But I am challenged to keep myself continually open to new friendships so that I can be challenged and challenge someone else.

Finally, thank you to all of my friends. You know who you are and I am ever so thankful for all of the sharpening that has come my way because of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment