Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Who Needs Prince Charming When You Have THE KING OF KINGS!

The world events of this past weekend and this week have me reflecting. They are opposites. The first event I am thinking of was the wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton. As I have mentioned before, I have two little girls. They don't watch the news, but this wedding was inescapable in the weeks leading up to it. It was everywhere. My girls begged me to get up at four in the morning to watch it. We compromised and got up at six in the morning instead. After all, what little girl doesn't like a wedding or have dreams of a real prince coming to get her one day! So there we sat glued to the television that morning waiting to see the beautiful bride marry her prince charming! The girls were spell bound. My husband came in the room briefly to say goodbye and leave for work and they were so mesmerized that as soon as he said, " good-" they shushed him!

The other world event that captures my mind is the killing of Osama Bin Laden. Quite a different event! I turned on the television that morning and saw people celebrating in the streets. I felt an instant wave of mixed emotions. I was relieved that he was no more. I was proud of our troops, I was saddened by the reminder of why we had to go after Osama in the first place. And I was confused. I understand who he is and what he did. But the question kept turning over in my mind, is it right to celebrate the death of another human being?

These two opposite events have me reflecting on two future events. Let me explain....
One day my King will come. " And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and He who sat on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and wages war." Revelation 19:11. Ever since I was a little girl I have been told that someday Christ would return for His bride the church. It became such a common thing that I heard growing up that it lost it's importance to me. But when I watched the royal wedding on television and saw the grandness of the cathedral and the incredible gown the bride wore, and the prince waiting at the end of the aisle I realized something. No matter how grand this earthly wedding was, it pales in comparison to the marriage of Christ and His Bride. "Let us rejoice and be glad and give glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready. It was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints. " Revelation 19: 7-8. And so I find myself challenged to make myself ready, and anticipating with excitement the return of the King!

Now for the other event. I told you that I struggled with the question of whether or not it is right to celebrate the death of another human being. I am not sure of my answer, but it pointed my thoughts in the direction of remembering our greatest enemy, the devil. I don't know about you, but I am tired of the oppression I see in the lives of some of the people I care about because of him and I am tired of the evil in this world. Are you tired of hearing about broken marriages? Battered spouses? Sexual promiscuity? Murder? Racism? Child abuse? Rebellious teens? Broken homes? Drugs? Alcohol? Abortion? Gossip? Death? I am and I look forward to the day when all of that will be no more.

For many years we could not find our enemy Osama Bin Laden and did not know if he would ever be brought to justice or have to pay for what he did. But the Bible is clear on our enemy the devil and what will happen to him. " And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever." Revelation 20: 10. I can't help but think after seeing the joyous celebrations on television over the death of Osama that it's nothing compared to what we will feel, witness, and celebrate when the devil is done away with forever! And as if that isn't enough, Revelation 21:3-5 goes on to say " And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying 'Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.' And He who sits on the throne said, 'Behold, I am making all things new.' "

Who besides me, needed to hear that this week? I know we all need to be reminded at times that our King is coming, our enemy is defeated, and as big and strong as our God is... He is still tender and loving enough to take His God sized hand and wipe away every tear from our eyes! Can you imagine being face to face with God and He wipes the tears from your eyes?! Can you imagine God dwelling among you?
Who needs a Prince Charming, when you have THE KING OF KINGS!!!


2 comments:

  1. I like you Erica am so very much looking for my KING of KINGS ! Because of all the turmoil,heartaches and trials people we love and care about have to go through . Its good to remember there will be and end to all of this and a new begining with our King and he will reign forever and ever, and we will live happily ever after not in a fairy tale way but a true realistic way.We have a promise from God from his very word that we will have that everlasting happiness that people seek on earth but constantly get disappointed . Thank you for sharing and reminding me this world is not our home we're just passing through!!!!Im Thankful for that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Erica, this is well-written and well-said, definitely Holy Spirit inspired.

    While I didn't watch the wedding, I shared similar thoughts in regards to Bin Laden. Watching the pathetic videos of him held up in a house 6 years watching old videos of himself made me realize that he too was just a puppet of Satan. A man gone to Hell, which was created for Satan and his demons. I know God and His angels weren't celebrating the death of Bin Laden because it is God's desire that all men should be saved. I too grow weary of Satan's deception and evil in God's world, and we will all indeed celebrate the end of it and him!

    ReplyDelete