Saturday, June 4, 2011

Conversations With God...

When I started blogging the purpose was to encourage others by sharing how I find God in the every day stuff of life. What I have had to learn over the course of my relationship with Him is that He often speaks quietly, which requires me to be still enough to hear Him. It's like any other relationship, it requires give and take in conversation and consistency. I am a busy mom and so my conversations with God through the years happen in small spurts throughout the day. I may be doing dishes and something comes to mind that I need to tell Him, or I may be in the middle of a trying day with the kids and need to tell Him how much I need His help not to lose it! Maybe I need direction on a decision I am mulling over regarding a purchase in the store so I ask Him what He thinks. Sometimes I just need to empty the concerns on my heart before they build up and it doesn't matter where I am, I know He is listening. And so this brings me to a recent conversation I had with him at the Cracker Barrel gift shop this weekend!

Sometimes the way God speaks to me is by allowing me to be sensitive to my surroundings and to notice things that I may normally pass by, in order to send me a message. This was one of those days. My family and I were on our way home from the end of the year event at Hershey park held by the kids' cyber school. On the way home we were discussing my husband's recent job layoff. He has one more full week of the school year and then who knows what job God has for him! He had applied at the kids' cyber school and up until that day at Hershey Park it had sounded hopeful that there would be an opening and he would be a good fit. But while he was at the Park he spoke to the administrator and was informed that job openings in Phys Ed could go either way, it wasn't as sure as he thought it had been. This was a little disappointing! Although we still had peace, I struggled with my disappointment on the ride home.

We stopped at the Cracker Barrel for dinner and while I waited for my food to be served I decided I needed space so I went to walk around the gift shop. My intention was to quiet my frustrations by giving myself space away from the family, talk to God, and find a birthday gift for a friend. See what I mean by busy?! As I walked around and began leaving my questions and disappointments with God I was stopped by a beautiful beach picture that had the words "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10 written on it. I couldn't help but thank Him for reminding me in that way. I continued to walk around looking for that birthday gift when I came across a necklace in a box with the words to an old song printed on it. I remember singing this song often in church when I was a girl; "Because He lives, I can face tomorrow. Because He lives, all fear is gone. Because I know He holds the future. And life is worth the living just because He lives."

God knew that not only did I need to be reminded to be still but I needed to be comforted with those familiar words from the song "Because He Lives". I would have missed it if I hadn't spent enough time in my relationship with Him to experience His voice in this way before. How about you? What do you miss in being able to find God in your every day? Perhaps there are ways in which He has tried to speak to you similar to this and you just didn't realize it? Will you join me in asking God for a consistent sensitivity to the many ways He tries to get our attention? I don't know about you, but I don't want to miss a thing He has to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment