Friday, June 17, 2011

Lemonade...

Have you ever heard of the saying "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." ? Chances are you have. I have always thought of it as a reference to an attitude adjustment like "In every cloud there is a silver lining" or "Looking at the glass as half full". Sometimes these little sayings can be annoying and not very practical. Other times they can be used to challenge us to think differently.

One lesson that I continue to learn is that I can choose how I react or respond to things in life. My family and I have had some difficult choices to make in response to my husband's last week of school. We could choose to be moody and sad, angry at the school board, frustrated, and even fearful. While we may have at times felt some of those emotions, we have chosen not to react or respond with them. Instead we threw a small party!

The girls and I went and got streamers, balloons, a card, and dessert at the store. Then we came home and decorated. They made a banner that I hung up that says "Celebrate New Beginnings". That is what we have chosen to do, celebrate. You can call it what you like, making lemonade, looking at the glass half full, or finding the silver lining. But I call it a teachable moment.

I want my girls to see that uncertainty is not necessarily a bad thing. If we trust God it is an adventure. I also want my girls to see how they can take advantage of a difficult time and use it as an opportunity to love and encourage someone, their daddy. Finally, I want my husband to know that we are proud of him and the many years that he taught the students at his school.

How about you? What are your lemons this week and what do you need to do in order to choose to make them into lemonade?

No comments:

Post a Comment