Monday, June 13, 2011

Lesser vs. Lasting...

This is the last week of employment for my husband in our school district. After Friday we venture off into the great unknown of the world of unemployment. I am watching him in all of this and what I see is a little sadness, some questions about where he will work next, and a lot of graciousness. He takes things in stride he always has that's just him. I have always loved that about him, well except when we go shopping because it takes him longer than me to make decisions!

We have been talking a lot these past few days about the future. We are wondering what it is going to look like. Is this geographical area where God has planted us for good, or will searching for a job lead us to another state? Do we take the first job that is offered or do we hold out? What is God up to and what are we going to learn from this? So many questions and so much uncertainty! But still we are not experiencing any anxiety only supernatural peace. I have also had several family members and friends tell me that every time they pray for us they experience the same peace and a knowing that God will take care of us. Thank you God!

These past few days I have heard a song play on the radio several times that has touched my heart and caused my thoughts to wander back to the lyrics regularly. It's sung by Laura Story and the name of it is "Blessings" Here are some of the words that I keep pondering:

"We pray for blessings. We pray for peace. Comfort for family, protection while we sleep. We pray for healing, for prosperity. We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering. All the while, You hear each spoken need. Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things. Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops? What if Your healing comes through tears? What if a thousand sleepless nights is what it takes to know You're near? What if the trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise?"

I have never been one to welcome a trial have you? I already know from personal experience how hardships can end up being God's mercies in disguise so those lyrics didn't surprise me. What got me was the phrase "You love us way too much to give us lesser things." Those things that she calls lesser are not things that I necessarily have thought of as lesser. But I see that they are because they don't last. They are temporary. What is produced in our hearts and lives from the hardships of this life is lasting. The lessons learned have the ability to shape us and strengthen us for years to come. The closeness that we can experience as we cling dependently on God for provision, wisdom, comfort, and direction is priceless and enduring. Once we experience Him as faithful in our hardships it spurs us on to be more faithful to Him. All of these things are priceless and eternal.

While I sit here thinking about this I realize that even though it's not necessarily wrong to pray for good health, safety, and peace there are things I miss when I am focused on these "lesser" things. Perhaps my prayer should be not to miss what it is God wants to teach me and my family through this period of uncertainty, that He would do a complete and enduring work in us.

As I seek Him for the lasting and eternal things He wants to accomplish in my life and the lives of my family the "lesser" things will become just that, less of a concern. God knows our future and He has already provided for it in the mean time I think it's important to let Him work in our hearts and lives through the process of the wait. How about you? What are the "lesser" things that are keeping your focus from the lasting and eternal things?

No comments:

Post a Comment