Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Unseen...

God reminded me today of a prayer I prayed a week before everything started going wrong around here. I am reading a book called Soul Shift by Steve DeNeff and David Drury for a growth group I signed up for at church. In the chapter due to be discussed this past week were these words: " Faith's work is not to ignore the stark reality of our enemies lying in wait surrounding us. Rather faith's work is to remind us of another reality even greater than that of the enemy. Faith sees that our enemies have surrounded us. But it also sees that our God has surrounded our enemies, that ' those who are with us are more than those who are with them.' (2 Kings 6: 16) Faith sees the unseen, but the unseen is no less real just because it requires faith to see it." After reading those words I prayed that God would help me to see the unseen. A week later it hit the fan!!

It began with water damage and a rotted wall and floor. Then there were the termites and carpenter ants. After that a power surge fried the control panel on my oven. Add all this to the wait for God to provide a job for my husband and you end up with one really frustrated person, me! So I took a ride in the car to do what seemed best, let off some steam and let God know how I felt with the end destination being the ice cream isle at the super market!

I have learned through the years that God is the best listener. He never interrupts and He never lies to me. I can talk to Him loudly, have anger in my voice, or tears pouring down my face and He doesn't turn me away even though I am a mess! I may not like what He has to say after I am done pouring out my heart to Him, but He is always right and I always feel better if I listen and obey.

So during my ride to the store in the quiet that followed the pouring out of my frustrations and hurts, I heard Him say " Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. " (Hebrews 11:1) and "So that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 1:7)

This was His response to my prayer to be able to see the unseen. I couldn't see past the termites, oven, rotted wall, job situation, and financial cost during my feelings of frustration. I felt surrounded. So what was the unseen that I was missing? I failed to see that God was still there in the midst of it all and had already provided for it. I failed to see that I was being tested and I forgot for a moment that my God is bigger than my circumstances. Hopefully next time I will ace the test!

How about you? What circumstances do you find yourself in that you can't see past? What enemies are you surrounded by? Don't be like me, pass the test. Remember that your God is bigger than the circumstances you find yourself in . Ask Him to be able to see the unseen, to be able to see that you are surrounded by, provided for, and tenderly loved buy your God.

No comments:

Post a Comment