Monday, August 15, 2011

Where Are Your Eyes?

My mind keeps replaying the lyrics to a song that Bebo Norman sings. The song is called "I Will Lift My Eyes" and these are the words that continue to play in my mind; "I will lift my eyes to the Maker of the mountains I can't climb. I will lift my eyes to the cover of the oceans raging wild. I will lift my eyes to the Healer of the hurt I hold inside. I will lift my eyes, lift my eyes to You." I have heard this song before many times but these words impacted me in a different way this time around.

I felt challenged to keep my eyes focused on God rather than on what surrounds me. Life can be busy, chaotic, uncertain, frustrating, and scary sometimes. In the season of life that I find myself in right now, it is easy to lose my focus and let my eyes roam to the things going on around me. The problem is that when I do that I can't see God. All I can see is the challenges and uncertainties I face. Because that is all I can see, I become focused on them. Focusing on them causes me to forget that God is in control and He is bigger than whatever life throws at me.

The song states, "I will lift my eyes". This suggests a willful act, a decision to refocus, to lift one's gaze from whatever they were looking at before and willfully look up shifting their gaze to God. It's a decisive moment. But when the choice is made to lift your eyes upward and focus them on the God who loves you and made you suddenly everything else that once seemed so big now seems so small. What follows is peace.

So where are your eyes today? Are they focused on the troubles of life that surround you? Will you choose to lift your eyes and look up to see that God is so much bigger than the troubles? I don't know about you but I am determined not to let Him out of my sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment