Thursday, September 29, 2011

Lord of the Flies!

I am not sure how encouraging this post will be but I am sure someone will get a good laugh out of it! So please bear with me as I describe my crazy morning and how God spoke to me by using the flies!

I woke up this morning at 6am spent some time with the Lord and then got ready for my morning work out. I haven't been very disciplined with the work out this week because I have a bad cold and am tired all the time so I was happy that I felt well enough to do one this morning and actually looked forward to it. Then I turned on the large ceiling fan light and it all changed....

Swarming all over the walls behind my bed and on the ceiling were fruit flies there had to be at least 50 to 75 of them! Anyone who knows me knows that I don't like bugs they are just plain gross! So I panicked turned out the light ran out of the bedroom and shut the door! As I stood in the hallway I prayed, what to do? How did they get in? What if we have an infestation? How can I sleep in there again? Were they in there all night? EEEEWWWW!!! I only had one choice, grab a fly swatter and a chair to stand on in order to reach the ceiling, so much for a morning work out!

Once back in the room God pointed me in direction of the air conditioner. That's where they had come in through the gaps in the window. It was pouring all night they must have been looking for a dry place. So I managed to lift the air conditioner out of the window and shut it. Then came the killing spree! It seemed that no matter how many I killed there were more. I had to hop from floor to chair to bed in order to reach them at the ceiling for a swat! The ordeal lasted about 30 minutes. The whole time I am complaining to God about how much I hate flies, the fact that it was hubby who just had to have an air conditioner in for the two nights that were hot this week, and that I wasn't going to be able to get my work out. Of course He reminded me that I was out of breath and sweaty from all the swatting and jumping up on the chair I was doing! And then it was over. Surrounded by dead bodies and guts on the wall I went to get my vacuum cleaner and a rag.

As I began cleaning up God began reminding me that I shouldn't complain so much. He reminded me of a former fly incident that had occurred several years ago with very large black flies. They were swarming around our basement area and I had gotten so frustrated with them that I lured them up the stairs by turning on the light. Then I got out a can of hornet spray because it shoots really far and sprayed them. I remember how happy I was as I watched them fall to the ground, and then it was over.... and I noticed what a mess Raid makes on walls and floors. In my moment of vengeance I had made the walls and stairs drip with Raid. Like a dummy I stood on the top stair to wipe the wall and slipped. I fell down the basement stairs. I can laugh now at that story but at the time I was sore! Anyway, God reminded me that I can be thankful that I learned my lesson the first time and didn't do a repeat by using Raid today. And that got me thinking...

The lessons we learn the best from our Lord are the ones we learn the hard way. Somehow they become such a part of us that we don't ever forget them. So instead of complaining maybe when the next fly incident comes around I will be more likely to choose to be thankful for whatever it is I may learn! Today I am thankful that He is Lord of the flies!

1 comment:

  1. You are a real pistol and made both Mike and I laugh, Hey they say laughter is good for the heart so you did good for our hearts today Erica LOL! Love you :) Love your blogs too Keep them coming!!!!

    ReplyDelete