Friday, December 2, 2011

God The Ultimate Washing Machine...

This week I have been doing a lot of research and a lot of praying. My washing machine broke and it costs too much to fix it. We would be better off buying a new machine than repairing the 11 year old one we have. I do a lot of laundry, so a broken machine sent a wave of panic through my being! It's been a long time since I have had to buy a new appliance and I had no idea what was available or what would be a quality purchase that fit our budget. So the "Give me wisdom" prayers began right along side of hours of research.

I quickly found out that technology has advanced quite a bit in the 11 years since my last washing machine purchase. I began to feel overwhelmed at the thought of not being able to find a washing machine without buttons like a cell phone has. I am a simple girl, I like knobs on my machine and I don't want to have to read a book in order to figure out how to wash my clothes! I had to learn about how many RPMs an energy efficient machine needed to have in order to spin the clothes enough to get rid of excess water. Then I had to learn what makes it energy efficient! As if that wasn't enough I found out that today's washing machines have sensors in the bottom that weigh your clothes so they only fill up with the necessary amount of water. That is part of the energy efficiency! Really? Do I really need to have my dirty clothing weighed? There are even machines that will not wash your clothes if you over load them. They will simply turn off! Do I really want my washing machine to tell me how many clothes I am allowed to wash at one time? It might as well talk for that matter. Maybe they could program it to say "Wow! You must not have a shred of clean clothing in the house if you're going to fill me up with this big of a load!"

I decided it was time to go to Lowes and find a washing machine. The laundry was piling up and I had a headache from all of the research in front of the computer screen. I told my husband I was going to pick whatever one that fit our budget and had knobs. He said that was fine. So off I went! Upon entering the store I prayed once more for wisdom. As I walked around looking at the washing machines I couldn't help but notice that half of them look like mini spaceships! In fact there was a front loading washing machine that I could probably fit in. Maybe in the next 11 years they will be the rocket ships of the future!

Intimidated by their many buttons, computerized screens, and size, I moved to the only section where I saw knobs. Then I saw the salesman approaching. It takes a special salesman to deal with me, so I prayed that God would help me to be kind and patient. Too much pressure to sell me a particular machine and no matter how badly I need to buy something I will leave. That's how I have always been. The salesman asked if he could help and I asked him some questions about the machine with the knobs. He had no idea that I really wanted the knobs when he said "It has the same computer board behind it as the others do. We just put the knobs on it for the old people. They like knobs!" So I replied, " I like knobs too" and he got quiet. In order to redeem myself I started asking him about how fast the drum spins and he looked up the RPMs for me. This lead us to a different set of washers now because the ones with the knobs don't last as long as the front loaders. Long story made a bit shorter, I ended up buying a front loading washing machine with buttons instead of knobs and it was on a really great sale! This provided me with the ability to buy a warranty in case those fancy buttons malfunction!

As I reflect on this experience I can't help but marvel at how complicated we make simple things like washing our clothes. We simply need clean clothes but now we have to decide what temperature the water is, load size, how fast the spin, and what amount of time to wash them using fancy buttons! It made me think about another kind of cleansing that we make complicated. How often do we go to God for forgiveness and complicate it by making promises to do better next time? We ask for forgiveness, promise to do better, and then walk around feeling guilty for days even thought God has forgiven us completely. God is not like a computerized washing machine. You have no idea after the research I have done this week, how thankful I am for that! There is no computerized malfunction with God, His drum doesn't stop spinning, He never forgets to rinse, He won't refuse to clean us because we have too big of a load, and He doesn't break down and leave us with no way to be clean! When we ask for forgiveness He forgives us and cleanses us completely. We don't have to keep feeling guilty or wonder if He still loves us. It's done. He is the ultimate washing machine with no malfunctions! We ask for forgiveness and come out so clean we look like brand new. I don't know about you but I am so thankful that it's that simple and my God is that wonderful and reliable!

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say thank Your for the hearty laugh you made me have from this blog . It was good medicine for me . I haven't laughed like that in a long time it brought me to tears . Also it was a very good reminder for me too of God's forgiveness and how he does cleanses us completely, its almost like taking a shower on the inside too! Love Ya keep these blogs coming Ok :)

    ReplyDelete