Thursday, December 22, 2011

Unwrap It...

"The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in the land of the shadow of death, upon them a light has shined... For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:2, 6

Christ is the gift. He is the gift that keeps on giving. Once this gift is received the person receiving it never wants to let go of it or exchange it for anything else. Once this gift is opened all other gifts pale in comparison. Where would I be without Him? I would still be walking in the darkness and dwelling in the land of the shadow of death.

I received Him ages ago when I was four but it takes years to truly begin to understand the gift that He is. It took years before I understood what it meant to have Him as my Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace. I have always known that He is Wonderful!

Here is the wonder...
When I need wisdom He is my Counselor. When I need strength in the midst of an up hill battle, I don't fight it on my own because He is my Mighty God. When I need comfort from life's hurts He is my Everlasting Father and all I need to do to curl up in His lap and have a good cry is to go to Him in prayer. When life is uncertain and everything is going wrong He is the my Prince of Peace, the calm in the storm. All I have to do is run to Him and leave it at His feet and receive the calm of His loving presence. I marvel that all of this gift was wrapped up in the form of a tiny baby so long ago.

A few more days and it will be Christmas. Yet Christmas has already come. What will you do with this marvelous gift of Christ? Will you receive it and leave it still wrapped up? Or will you take the time to unwrap it and discover all the layers to this incredible gift in the days, weeks, months, and years to come?

1 comment:

  1. Keep these Blogs coming Erica They are encouraging and so good to remember and apply to everyday life. What a great reminder for us all to remember.

    ReplyDelete