Friday, January 27, 2012

Every Tear...

Sometimes the seeing of God in our every day comes in the form of the ordinary and ends up reminding us of the extraordinary. I believe He sometimes uses the here and now to remind us of or give us a picture of what is to come and this sweetens the struggle of living in this present life. This is how it began...

I spent some time yesterday with a friend and her sweet little boy. They come to visit here once a week. She used to be a teacher before having the sweet little boy and now she helps teach my youngest some reading skills. While she is tutoring my little girl I enjoy playing with her little boy. Playing with little boys is so different from playing with little girls. The play is action packed and this little one likes to climb. While he was here he tried to climb onto the bench at the kitchen table that his mom was sitting on. Somehow he lost his balance and ended up sliding backward. He tried to hang on but ended up hitting his head and getting wedged between the bench and the wall. I have never seen the little guy cry so hard! In the whole 18 months I have known him I don't think I have ever seen him upset! Of course his mom scooped him up right away and kissed his sweet little face and the sore spot on the back of his head. He continued to cry and she said to him "Show me your owie so I can kiss it away." He buried his face in her shirt and she kissed his sore head some more and then she wiped the tears from his eyes. This is when the ordinary reminded me of something extraordinary.

I was reminded of our loving God. Someday He will wipe away all of our tears just like my friend lovingly and gently wiped away the tears from her little one's face. Only this little boy's mom could make him feel safe, loved, quieted, and whole again after being hurt. Our world is full of hurts like disease, addiction, injustice, heart ache, and death to name a few. The comfort we receive from others on this journey called life is like a band aid that eventually will fall off. It is good but temporary. If we lay bare our wounds before God just like the little one showed his mom the owie, then we open ourselves up to Him to be comforted. God has the power and tenderness to heal our hurts just like my friend's kisses healed her boy's hurt. Even better yet, some day there will be no more tears.

Isaiah 25:8-9 says this , " He will swallow up death for all time, and the LORD God will wipe away tears from all faces, and He will remove the reproach of His people from the earth; For the LORD has spoken. And it will be said in that day, 'Behold this is our God for whom we have waited that He might save us. This is the LORD for whom we have waited; Let us rejoice and be glad in His salvation.' "

Do some imagining with me for a moment... Can you see the mighty hand of God reaching to wipe away the tears from all faces? Think about it. This is the same God "Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand" (Isaiah 40:12). This is the hand of the God who created the universe. This the hand of the God who conquers death. This same hand that is attached to the all powerful God is going to ever so tenderly wipe the tears from your face once and for all!

I hope that as you and I face the hurts and struggles of this life we can remember these verses and be encouraged by them. I don't want to forget this glimpse of the future that I was given in the ordinary. Remember there is no Comforter like God and let's look ahead with joy to the day when God's hand lovingly wipes away the tears from our faces!

No comments:

Post a Comment