Saturday, January 7, 2012

What You Sow In Tears...

I was in the car traveling to meet with a friend last night. I really enjoy my car time. Sounds funny doesn't it? Let me explain. I enjoy those rare car times when I am alone in the car headed somewhere. It gives me an opportunity to listen and enjoy quiet, sing really loud to my favorite music, or talk to God out loud without anyone over hearing. Last night I began my car time by talking to God. I was telling Him about someone I have been praying for, how I am at a loss to know how to be there for this person,and at a loss as to how to pray about the circumstances they find themselves in. Sometimes just listening is the best and only way to be there for someone but sometimes it feels like it's not enough. This has been one of those times. I asked Him to show me how to be there for this person the way they need me to and how He wants me to pray. Then I put in a CD and enjoyed singing along with it. I got to this one verse in a particular song and it felt like God smacked me over the head with a brick! The verse was " Jesus, you are stronger more than any other."

I turned off the music and began to talk to Him again about the brick I felt He smacked me with! How quickly I forget how big, strong, and capable He is. How quickly I forget that there is no such thing as an impossible person or situation for Him. Sometimes the things in our lives or the lives of others that we pray for seem so dark, heavy, hopeless, and impossible that we are at a loss as to how to even pray about them anymore. God is never at a loss for anything. I had to ask Him to forgive me for forgetting that He is stronger and bigger than it all. As I sat in the quiet He reminded me of some verses that I have been holding on to for a while. They are Psalm 126: 5-6 " Those who sow in tears shall reap with joyful shouting. He who goes to and fro weeping, carrying his bag of seed, shall indeed come again with a shout of joy, bringing forth his sheaves with him."

Just like a seed is planted and it takes months or even a whole year before it grows, so it is with prayer. Sometimes I am literally planting those seeds of prayer in tears on my knees. Sometimes the wait for the answers to prayer can be excruciating. It's easy to wonder in those moments if God sees the tears as we sow or hears the prayers we are praying. He sees and He hears. He has promised that what we sow in tears we will reap in joy.

I write this to remember it always for those long moments of waiting for the harvest and sowing in tears. I also write it for those of you who are sowing in tears right now. For the mothers and fathers who are praying for their wayward sons and daughters to return to God, the wives who are praying for their husbands to be freed from their addictions, the husbands who are praying for their marriages to be healed, the man or woman praying for their spouse's salvation, the singles who are waiting and praying for God to bring them a spouse, and the woman who prays that God will give her a child. No matter what prayer seed you are sowing God sees, He hears, and He keeps His promises. Don't be discouraged and don't forget how powerful and loving our God is. Keep on sowing...

No comments:

Post a Comment