Monday, January 16, 2012

A Word for the Weary...

I have been pondering some words from Isaiah these past few days. Isaiah 40:28-31 says this:

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth does not become weary or tired. His understanding is inscrutable. He gives strength to the weary, and to him who lacks might He increases power. Though youths grow weary and tired, and vigorous young men stumble badly, yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary."

I know of a lot of weary people right now. Parents with wayward children, friends whose family members have cancer, people waiting for test results, and my husband and I find ourselves once again expecting job loss. One hundred more teachers are to be laid off this school year. This means that I know a whole school district full of tired people! Yet God is not tired. How is that? I grow tired of coming to Him with so many burdens. "Hey God it's me again! Yeah that's right I was here two minutes ago but I have another one for you!" He never sends me away and He always encourages me to continue interceding until all is completed.

It amazes me that God doesn't grow weary. Think about it...no one is busier than God. God who daily listens to all of our cares, concerns, complaints, hurts, needs, wants, fears, and anxieties is NOT weary. We run to Him and our needs are endless. We are a needy people. Yet He never grows weary of the listening, the providing, the loving of us. What's more amazing is that these verses say that we can have the same strength and lack of weariness that He does. "Yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength".

Somehow that word "wait" has a note of expectation to it. It is in the waiting for God to act, the waiting for God to answer, the continuous letting go of the burden into His hands that we find strength. Waiting for the Lord provides the strength we need in the struggles of every day life on this earth. Waiting for the Lord provides the strength that we need to continue to go to God and intercede for others. It is the expectant hope that our God hears us and will respond. It is the expectant hope that God will grant us the strength that we need to continue on in the things that He has called us to do.

I don't know about you but I could use a good dose of this "new strength" He is offering. Let's look to God when we are weary and remember the words of Isaiah. Remember that no matter how tired you are God is never tired and always has "new strength" to offer those who wait for Him. Join me in waiting for Him so that we can "run and not get tired, walk and not get weary" together!

2 comments:

  1. Although I am reading this a week after the post, it means so much to me today. I sure am feeling weary and looking for a 'pocket of peace' as I call them. Thank you for reminding me that God definitely has an abundance strength to offer me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,
    You are welcome. Praying you have a 'pocket of peace' today. I am sure you will!

    ReplyDelete