Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Who Are You Waiting For?

We are all waiting for something. We wait for answered prayer, a visit from a loved one, wisdom for the future,or a prodigal to return. Life is full of waiting. There is no getting around that. Some things we wait for with anticipation and others we wait for with fear and dread. Sometimes we wait on pins and needles hoping that we will get the answers we are looking for. Then we get them and find out that the waiting was actually easier than receiving the answers. Often times we feel as if we wait alone and our questions and frustrations during the wait fall on deaf ears.

Just as we are ready to cry out to God like the people did in Isaiah 64:1 "Oh, that You would rend the heavens and come down, that the mountains might quake at Your presence.." God comes and our wait is over. We find ourselves in awe of what He did, how He did it, and who He is. Then we can proclaim as they did in Isaiah 64:4 "For from the days of old they have not heard or perceived by ear, Nor has the eye seen a God besides You, who acts in behalf of the one who waits for Him."

"The one who waits for Him", it's this last part of the verse that gets me. In my waiting am I waiting for Him? Am I waiting for Him to act? Am I looking to Him to do the impossible? Am I simply waiting for circumstances to change, another person to change, or a prayer to be answered a certain way? Waiting for all of those things can lead to disappointment. When I wait for Him I am never disappointed. His presence alone in any given circumstance is worth the wait.

I find myself in the wait again. I wait to know if my husband is on the list to be furloughed. I have been here before yet it is different each time. Last year I waited in dread to know the answer. This year I wait to know what God will do, how He will show up, and what it will look like. I wait with an odd sense of anticipation certain that I will see His faithfulness again no matter what the list says. I know that there truly is no other God besides Him, "who acts on behalf of the one who waits for Him". The difference this time is that I wait for Him instead of waiting for my prayers to be answered or my circumstances to change. How about you? What matters more the answers or the Giver of the answers? Who are you waiting for?

1 comment:

  1. Erica, I was just thinking today that its so much more important to seek Him rather than the answers. Just maybe I need to draw close to Him and not wait for the answers to come,because in the long run its about Him not me or what I want or think should be but its Him. So I am going to pay more attention to what He is saying to me and less on thinking when things will change. I feel God is calling me to a closer walk with Him through trusting more in His word and prayer also. Thanks for the post it was like the icing on the cake for me.Now to put it in to practice!

    ReplyDelete