Monday, April 9, 2012

From One Clay Pot to Another...

I sit here with remnants of Easter worship playing in my mind. This is the first I have had to really reflect. It has been a busy weekend. This Easter has brought to light the resurrection in a different way for me and I want to hang on tightly to the lesson because I am certain I will need it in the future as much as I need it now.

I came to Easter service after a long and trying week. It was a week full of personal struggles and fighting hard to hear wisdom from God. It was a week of battles fought on my knees and I was weary. I also came to Easter service shortly after spending time with someone I love dearly who is suffering. This person is far more weary than I. She is physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually exhausted. She is fighting an intense battle. I came with the burden to fight for her, to intercede, but I also came tired. It wasn't the message of the cross that got me this time or the joy of the resurrection. It was the message in a song.

The words to the song Overcome written by Desperation Band, took me by surprise. I had sung them before and they hadn't grabbed a hold of me this way. "Savior, worthy of honor and glory, worthy of all our praise, You overcame. Jesus, awesome in power forever, awesome and great is Your name, You overcame. " The song had me at the word "overcame". All I could think about was how relieved I was that He overcame. These struggles and these battles we face in life He has overcome! I watched through the tears streaming down my face as those around me sang with smiles. I sang with tears of relief.

Not only did He save us He overcame! That same power that resurrected Christ from the dead lives in us who believe in Him. With that same power, no matter how weary we are we can overcome. 2 Corinthians 4: 6-8 says "We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves." (NLT)

Anyone else feel like a fragile clay pot sometimes? Ready to crack or break under the weight of what you are going through or the burdens on your heart? Anyone besides me forget about the part of the verse that says that our clay pot selves contain a great treasure? This treasure is that same power that resurrected Christ from the dead.

I have also been thinking about Romans 8:37 "But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us". Our Pastor read this verse at Easter service and it is not new to me, I just haven't given it much thought until now. If we believe that the Bible is the Word of God and what it says is true, than why do you and I often live like we are defeated? It says that "we overwhelmingly conquer through Him", yet often we live like we have overwhelmingly been defeated. I think this happens because we forget Who He is and what He did. I think it happens because we forget we belong to Him and that He has put that same power within us. We allow the enemy of our souls to convince us that all we are is a fragile clay pot. Once we feel fragile we forget about the treasure of Christ and His resurrection power stored inside that clay pot.

I want to walk in the power of Christ that He placed inside my clay pot. I don't want to forget that He overcame especially in the midst of life's battles and I don't want to live in defeat. How about you? Will you join me in living a life that testifies to the One who overcame?

No comments:

Post a Comment