Friday, April 6, 2012

You Do Not Battle Alone...

Are you battle weary and worn? Does it seem like you struggle with one thing, press on in prayer, finally come up for air, and then find yourself in yet another battle? Are you weary and discouraged? Do you feel like you don't have the energy to hit your knees one more time and pray for one more person or one more need? Is the devil dogging you with discouragement? Is he replaying the scenes from your past mistakes in such a way that it makes you feel like you are inadequate to fight this current battle you find yourself in? Do you feel like you know nothing? Are you afraid of where you find yourself? I want you to know that you are not alone, I have been there and I can tell you that all you need to do is cry out to God and He will give you wisdom. He will give you all you need for battle.

I found myself this week at a loss for how to handle some things. Years of knowing the Lord, the wisdom passed on to me from my parents' examples, excellent books I have read, and prior experience praying through similar struggles before all seemed useless. None of these things seemed like enough preparation for where I found myself. In my desire to do everything right and not make any mistakes that I would regret in the future, I opened the door for the devil to taunt me with mistakes from the past, feelings of inadequacy, and fear of the future. I am sharing all of this with you because I know I am not the only one who has been in this place and in case you haven't been here yet I want to expose his tactics so you can recognize them.

The only way to make it through all of the things that I just described to you is to have a running dialogue with God about what you are going through, what you are thinking, and what you are feeling. During my prayer time I asked God to speak to me about all of those things. I needed direction and I needed to know His thoughts. I awoke this morning with the words " He trains my hands for battle" on my mind. When I went to look up the verses this is what I found:
Psalm 18: 28-3o, 34-36:
"For You light my lamp; the LORD my God illumines my darkness. For by You I can run upon a troop; and by my God I can leap over a wall. As for God, His way is blameless; the word of the LORD is tried; He is a shield to all who take refuge in Him. He trains my hands for battle, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You have also given me the shield of Your salvation, and Your right hand upholds me; and Your gentleness makes me great. You enlarge my steps under me, and my feet have not slipped."

These were the words He knew I needed to hear from Him. He is equipping me with all that I need for this battle I find myself in. Each battle is unique in its own way. Sure you can draw on wisdom gleaned from past struggles, but only God can give you what you need for the new ones. More importantly I don't fight alone. Did you notice? He provides the light in the darkness, the shield, the ability to run and leap, training, and He keeps my feet from slipping.

In a few days we celebrate Christ's victory over sin and death . We celebrate His death on the cross and His resurrection. Who better to train our hands for the many battles we face in this life than the only One who has ever conquered them all! I find myself incredibly thankful this Easter that He did not grow weary of us and decide to skip dying on the cross for our sins. I am so very thankful that He is victorious and that He loved us enough to do what He did. I am thankful that because of what He did I am never alone in my battles and I am being trained by the ultimate Warrior. As Psalm 18: 46 puts it, "The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock; and exalted be the God of my salvation." As you celebrate this weekend remember that because of His great love for you, you are not alone or ill equipped for this life's struggles and give Him thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment