Wednesday, May 2, 2012

No Coincidence..

I don't believe in coincidences.  I believe that God has a purpose in everything that He allows in my life.  I also believe there is a purpose to every relationship He brings into my life.  Several years ago God connected my family and I with someone very special.  I didn't understand His purpose at the time but it has certainly grown more evident through the years.  In a few days this person will be celebrating another birthday. His birthday has me reflecting on the sweetness of serving an intentional God!

Eight years ago on May 4th my grandfather died.  I was grandpa's girl.  In fact those were his last words to me, "That's right, always be my girl ".  He hadn't spoken to anyone for a few days. He was very weak.  It was my turn to say good bye and as I struggled with how to say it,  I told him I would always be his girl.  He spoke for the first time in days. It was a gift God knew I needed.  His death was one of the hardest losses I have had.  He was a man who fervently loved God and was full of wisdom. He was never too busy to listen, pray, or talk with you.  His passing out of this life and into the presence of God left a giant empty sad spot inside of me.

Roughly a year later God brought me a friend who reminds me much of my grandfather.  I met him at church and he liked to golf with my husband.  He spent enough time with us that after a while I jokingly told him we would have to adopt him.  We did! We gave him the title of "Uncle" .  Like grandpa we share some wonderful conversations about God, pray for each other, and have a lot of laughs.  It wasn't long before I discovered that his birthday happens to be May 4th!  May 4th was typically a sad day for me.  Even if it were to sneak up on me it was still hard because the date was a reminder that grandpa wasn't here.  It has been years now of celebrating this special friend's birthday and I have to say that May 4th is not sad for me anymore.  It ends up being a regular gift.  It is a reminder that God is a God of detail and purpose.  God is intentional in the people He brings into our lives and for that I am thankful.

It's easy in the fast paced life we live to approach the people we come in contact with regularly with indifference.  What if we saw them as placed in our lives intentionally by God?  How would that change our interactions with them?  How would we change?  What would we learn?  I believe we miss so much by hurrying through life and not taking the time to be intentional in the way we connect with others.  God uses the people He places in our lives to comfort us, to encourage us, to guide us, to sharpen us, and to challenge us in our walks with Him.  He also places us in the lives of others intentionally.

Look around at the people God has connected you with.  There are no coincidences.  Each one was placed in your life for a purpose.  You were placed in their life for a purpose.  Make time for them,  enjoy them,  grow  with them, and love them.  Each one is a sweet reminder of an intentional God who loves you. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment