Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Counting...

It is easy in the middle of trials to forget how much God loves us unless we count the trial as a gift.  What if we counted trials the way we count blessings?  We count blessings with joy thankful that God bestows them on us.  Shouldn't we do the same with trials?

If we looked at trials through the lens of gratitude for what God will work in us it may be easier to be thankful for them.  So often we just look at the trial as heavy, painful, frustrating, tiresome, and senseless. The reality is that we grow the most in relationship with God through trial. Trials have a way of bringing us swiftly to our knees, utterly dependent upon Him.   This dependence is a beautiful thing. When we are emptied of our selves and our self reliance we learn to wait for Him.  Waiting is hard because His time often seems so much slower than ours!

 Isaiah 40:31 says, "Yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary".  If we are emptied of ourselves and waiting for Him we are promised new strength, the ability to soar, and energy for the duration of our trial. I wonder how often I have missed those blessings because I fought too hard to do things myself, to figure out a solution on my own, or to make my own way.  Maybe there have been times  I have missed those blessings because I forgot that God loves me and " God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28.

Sometimes when you are in the middle of a trial it gets so dark you can't see.  This is when counting will help the most.  When you are going through a trial counting it as a blessing is an act of faith.  I have been trying my best this year to put into practice being thankful for the trials and counting them as blessings. I have a journal that I keep them listed in.  I have found  that listing the trials as something I am thankful for has become a way to let go of control and trust God that indeed I will feel gratitude for having gone through them.

As long as we walk in this world there will be trials and blessings...  Will you join me in counting the trials as blessings?  We can work together to be thankful for what God will teach us and use to shape us. Before we know it we won't be able to differentiate between the two because when we go through our trials with gratitude for what God is teaching us, they become blessings too.

No comments:

Post a Comment