Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Thirteen...

This post is for those of you who thought I would be sad or upset today because my daughter turned 13! You know who you are...  The good news is I am not! I think twelve nearly did me in so thirteen is now okay!  Twelve was the year that the stuffed animals went up on the shelf and I became "Mom" instead of "Mommy".  Thirteen has shown up today and I can't help but look at her in awe. Yes, the same awe and wonder that I gazed upon her with the day she was born.

I see God's hand on my girl and it's beautiful. My tears hold no sorrow. It's all joy, wonder, and gratitude.  The gift has been to see His hand shaping her heart. I see the prayers of a messed up, impatient, and anxious Mommy being answered. I see where we have been and stand in wonder at where He has brought the both of us.  I know it's all Him because I know my shortcomings. 

She devours her Bible. It's come alive for her and the Word is jumping off the pages and grabbing a hold of her heart!  She can't wait to tell her dad and I what she's learned and she is learning to apply it. Her heart is soft and she is choosing to love others well even when they don't love her well. She's learning to pray and freely shares with us what she has been talking to God about.  This...from the child who once said she didn't think He heard her. Now she is convinced!

She hugs me.  Last year the hugs disappeared quite a bit.  This year they are the kind that hold on tight.  The child who never was all that cuddly hugs me now. The girl who often had the answers, now asks her dad's advice. She soaks it in like a sponge and looks up to him like he is the one who hung the moon. It warms my heart to watch it.

Here I am pondering all these things on the day she has turned thirteen. I am holding them close and sharing just a glimpse of my treasures. I know that 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 are to follow and who knows what they hold!  Today  I  am pausing with a heart full of gratitude for what God is doing in my girl. Tomorrow I will hit my knees and pray it continues, convinced that prayer is powerful.  God has answered the many prayers that have brought us to where we are at 13!

No comments:

Post a Comment