Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Room...

      He came small. He came vulnerable. Jesus, the King of Kings made His grand entrance in a simple stable because there was no room in the inn. He came quietly, without red carpet fanfare. As I reflect on how He came, I must consider how I celebrate Him. Do I make room for Him?

      I have only ever thought of making room for Him in the context of making room in my schedule to spend time with Him.  Yet recently when I asked Him what it means to make room for Him I heard Him say, "You make room for me when you make room for others."  So I've been thinking about this a lot these last few days.  How is it that I make room for Him when I make room for others?  Then I was reminded of what it says in Matthew 25:35-40,  "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me. Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.' "  

     When I make room for others I make room for Him. What I do for others I am actually doing for Him.This is a humbling thought especially during what tends to be one of the busiest times of the year. Is there any room? In the middle of Christmas shopping and Christmas baking, is there any room? When I am running from one Christmas  event to the next, is there any room?  Matthew twenty five makes it seem so simple but in the fast paced, activity filled world we live in it becomes complicated.  So how do we do it? How do we make room for Him by making room for others?

     I believe we can find the answer by looking at how He came. He didn't come with fanfare. Jesus came humbly and in the most vulnerable form...as a baby.  Jesus, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, came as a servant. This is how we must come and make room for others and by doing so make room for Him. We must make ourselves vulnerable and be willing to share of ourselves with others even though we chance getting hurt. We must be humble. Pride and ego will always get in the way of loving others well. We must be servants. Servants give sacrificially...and isn't that what Jesus did? He made the ultimate sacrifice and gave us the ultimate gift...His life. 

     There is plenty of opportunity to make room for others.  I suspect that these opportunities may be easier to spot if we truly looked at spending time with others as spending time with Jesus. What if I saw listening to someone share their joys and struggles with me, as spending time with Jesus? What if inviting someone into my home for dinner wasn't just making room for them at my table, but making room for Jesus at my table? ("I was hungry and you fed me.") What if making room in my schedule to visit someone who is sick, depressed, or lonely is really making room for Jesus? What about our children? What if choosing to play with them instead of checking facebook one more time, is making room for Jesus? 

     I am challenged by the thought that the best way to truly celebrate Christ is to make room for others and by doing so, make room for Him. If this is the best way to celebrate Him, then the celebration  lasts my whole life through and is no longer confined to Christmas. If this is how I choose to celebrate Him, then I can become a gift to others and this will be a gift to Him as well!



1 comment:

  1. As usual more food producing thoughts Love it ! Love You ! keep these posts coming too !!!

    ReplyDelete