Saturday, April 5, 2014

Thankful...

     Since my last post I have been giving God my "to-do-list".  I've asked for His help completing the things that are on it even if they are things I know I can do easily myself. Sometimes He has a different order for my day than what I had mapped out for myself and I have gotten better at embracing that. Asking for His help with the list is new for me. I don't really consider myself in need of help doing the laundry. I've been doing it just fine for years!

     It's really not so much about whether I am able to do something as it is that I am choosing to dwell in His presence throughout my day. Things haven't slowed down any but my heart is not hurried by the pace of life. There is something else that I've noticed too. I am more thankful. His peace and His presence invite gratitude. I notice little things that I may have missed before and I am thankful for them. Thursday this week especially, I found myself constantly giving thanks for seemingly little things.

     I woke up thankful for my bed. It was good to be rested. The days before had been full and busy. The sun was shining. I don't think I have ever appreciated sunshine as much as I do now after the long winter we've had. Just opening the curtains put a smile on my face! Then, I realized that I would be home ALL day.  I had no errands to run, no piano or voice lessons for the kids, no grocery shopping to do, and no doctors appointments to go to.  I was thankful. It feels good to be home. During my time at home I was able to get some things done that I hadn't gotten to in a while. I suddenly found myself thankful that I could mop the floors! Now for those of you who know me well... you know mopping is right up there with cleaning bathrooms! Both of those things are my least favorite chores! It had to be a God thing that I was thankful to mop my floors!

     Each time I was thankful I expressed it to God. I would have missed all those little things that I was thankful for without His presence. Expressing my gratitude for these things lead to being thankful for other things. My mother-in- law is home from the hospital and doing well now. My father-in-law who has been away for a few months, arrives home this week and I've missed him. I am thankful he will be back. This reminded me of how blessed I am that he treats me as if I am his own daughter. My mom called and she doesn't need eye surgery...so very thankful.

     My oldest was dancing around the house with bare feet to the tune of her own song. She had been outside and was thrilled to enjoy the sun and the warmer temperature. The youngest found our first flowers growing in the back yard. I watched them from the window as they both enjoyed finding signs of spring. I too am thankful for spring and all it symbolizes.

     Spring is a time for new beginnings and who doesn't need to begin again? Maybe that's what I am doing. I am learning how to better abide and in doing so beginning again. Beginning to give thanks for what I have taken for granted. Giving thanks has drawn my attention to the many ways I overlook God's presence in my life. He is there in every little detail of my days and I can choose how I want to spend them. When I spend them abiding in Him I spend them aware....aware of His many gifts. When I choose to abide in Him I am present in life, actively living it instead of plowing through it.  He came that we might have life and have it abundantly. (John 10:10)  I am convinced that the only way to do that is to abide in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment