Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Drawn...

     Drawn...like a moth to a flame. There are times in life when we feel the pull so strongly that we can't help but be drawn to whatever or whoever the force is. Our curiosity is piqued. Our senses are heightened. We can't explain it. We are just compelled to head right to that which has captivated us. Those around us may not understand. They may even express concern. Still, we push forward compelled to see what lies just over the horizon. Being drawn is also a  part of the great adventure of following Christ.

     My husband and I find ourselves back in the season of uncertainty. He will receive his Master's degree in the mail in a few weeks and then what? We have no idea what God has planned. The only thing we know for sure is that it will involve applying for jobs. We don't know what job God has waiting.We only know that we have finished one leg of this journey with college behind us, and now we find ourselves on the next one. Even though we don't know what God has in store we feel drawn.

     We feel drawn to something bigger than ourselves. We feel drawn to community and to helping others. Pieces of things are starting to fit together. They tell the story of where God has taken us on this journey and how it all comes together to prepare us for...whatever is next! The organized part of me has had some regular questions about these pieces, but no concerns. My questions come from a place of anticipation rather than apprehension. This is truly a God thing! I find myself less concerned about specifics and more concerned about being ready and able to hear God's direction. In fact, the only time I felt mildly concerned was when a well meaning relative decided to express their desires for our future and tried to persuade us to head in a specific direction. After bringing that conversation before the Lord in prayer, we received a note in the mail from a ministry that we support. Hand written on the note was this verse from 1Thessalonians 5:24, " The one who calls you is faithful, and He will do it."
 
     "He will do it"!!!  This is what I am being drawn to. I am drawn to the idea that God is going to do something. I guess I feel like there has been so much waiting in our journey since my husband's job loss, that I am excited that something is going to be done! Perhaps I am like that kid in the back seat of the car on a long road trip that is always asking, "Are we there yet?".  Isn't that how it is with God? We can choose to look at our walk with Him as a long journey or we can choose to look at it as a great adventure and anticipate. Prayer is a good way to anticipate. Right now I am anticipating what God will do by praying for His will to be done.

     I've always been told to be careful what you pray for. I haven't always remembered to heed that warning. I prayed for patience once and was put in charge of three very hyper four year old boys at a daycare. I haven't prayed for patience since. Another time at the end of a wonderful  Beth Moore Bible study, I was so inspired that I asked God for peace like a river instead of a pond. In Bible study we learned that ponds are stagnant but rivers have rapids. The idea was  not to desire a stagnant, comfortable life (pond) but to allow God to take you on the ride of your life through the river's rapids. People often equate being comfortable with having peace. My life has been an adventure ever since I prayed that prayer and even in the rapids I have had peace! In this case I am thankful that I didn't remember to be careful what I prayed for. Currently, I am being drawn to the words of a song and I find myself praying them. The first time I caught myself praying them I stopped. I stopped because I realized that what I was praying was powerful and there would be risks. Yet, there is no adventure without risk. There is no personal growth without risk. I don't want to miss whatever it is that I am being drawn to because I was afraid to turn the words of this song into my heart's cry. Most importantly, I don't want to miss the opportunity to grow that much closer to my Savior.

     I am compelled to pray these words from the song Oceans; " Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders let me walk upon the waters wherever you would call me. Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Savior."  Ultimately, this is what I am being drawn to. I am being drawn into a deeper and stronger faith in God through the plans and purposes that He has for my life.  The excitement and the risk is in not knowing what exactly those plans are. The peace I have is found in knowing He is with me. The song goes on " I will call upon Your name keep my eyes above the waves. My soul will rest in Your embrace. I am Yours and You are mine."

     What are you being drawn to? What has God captivated your heart with? Follow Him and anticipate what He is going to do even if it involves risk. What are you really risking anyway if you belong to Him? 

No comments:

Post a Comment