Thursday, May 1, 2014

Mindful...

       "What is man that You take thought of him, and the son of man that you care for him?" Psalm 8:4.  It never ceases to amaze me that the same God who measures the ocean in the palm of His hand, is mindful of us. He is God of the universe, one would think He would be too busy!  Yet He continues to show us that He is mindful of us in an infinite number of ways. As I ponder this, one question keeps coming to the forefront. Am I mindful of Him?

     Am I mindful of Him in my home? Am I aware that He is the unseen guest at our dinner table? He is present when we watch a movie. He is right there with me when I lose my patience with the kids. He is the silent listener to every conversation I have. He sees first hand how I am spending my time and what I am doing with my money. Even my thoughts are not hidden from Him. He is all knowing. There is no escaping Him. My thoughts might as well be said out loud because He knows them anyway.

     I put some thought into my life. I am mindful of my schedule, mindful of my bills, and mindful of my spouse and children. Am I mindful that I am minute by minute living life in the presence of the God of the universe? He isn't some far off God sitting on His throne viewing me through a security camera. He is the God who takes thought of me and cares for me!  He doesn't just take thought of me, He takes notice of every detail. I am not alone. He is this attentive with everyone. 

     In Matthew chapter ten when Jesus is speaking to His disciples He says, "Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So do not fear you are more valuable than many sparrows." (verses 29-31)  Did you catch that? Not only does He take thought of you and care for you, He has taken the time to number your hairs. If you lose one He knows it!  It fascinates me that this is our God. He is all powerful, all knowing, the King of Kings, holy, and yet He is tender, loving, thoughtful, and attentive. This brings me to another question... now that I am reminded of this how does that change how I live my life? Will the way I live my life show that I am mindful of Him?

     It's easy to live life on autopilot. We have regular schedules and routines. There's nothing wrong with this but I think sometimes it can hinder us in being mindful of God. We become prone to living life with Him on autopilot. We think of His presence in our lives only in the context of our morning devotions, small groups, or Sunday services. If we were to live our lives mindful of Him it would change everything.  Think about it for a moment...

      Our conversations would be edifying instead of full of criticism and gossip because we would be mindful that God hears what we are saying. We might not watch certain television shows or movies anymore because we are mindful of His presence and wouldn't want to displease Him with what we are viewing. Perhaps we'd use our time and money more wisely because His presence makes us aware that this life is temporary. We would be more interested in things that have eternal value.  Our thoughts would change too because being mindful of Him makes room for the renewing of our minds.

     This is quite a challenge! I am up for it are you? Let's love God the way that He loves us. Let's be mindful of Him. Let's live our lives mindful of His presence and by doing so show Him that we take thought of Him and care for Him.
    



    

    

No comments:

Post a Comment