Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Peace...

 
      I sat in the chair and watched the snow fall outside. As the world grew whiter and whiter, the quiet wrapped me in a warm blanket of tranquility. Snow can be so stilling, peaceful...when you're watching it from the inside. I can't help but think about how true this can be of life too.  Life can be peaceful depending on what vantage point you are viewing it from.

   Outside on that snowy day, cars got into accidents. Hurried people awoke to driveways that needed clearing and wind shields that needed scraping. They did their best to get to work without sliding all over the roads. Because I was sitting on the inside, the change in the weather didn't effect me. Where you position yourself can greatly effect your ability to have peace.

     There is a verse in Micah that speaks to this. It reads, "This One will be our peace."  The "One" it speaks of is Jesus. If we position ourselves in Christ... Jesus will be our peace.

  I set out to write about peace a week ago but couldn't finish. The words just weren't fitting together at the time with the message God was communicating to my heart. Today, after I had written two paragraphs I received a phone call that a loved one's test results were in. The doctor told my mother that if what they saw on her chest x-ray was of concern, he would want to speak to her in person. If what they saw was just scar tissue as initially suspected, then she would simply receive a phone call. The wobble of her voice on the other end of the phone...gave away the answer. So here I sat, in the middle of writing about peace...feeling anything but peaceful.

   I took a break and shoved the thoughts aside to make dinner, clean dishes, and do laundry. After all, how does one write about peace at a time like this? How can you find peace in "This One" when you find yourself frustrated with Him? Where is peace when the suffering has been long, it breaks you to watch it, and you can't bear the thought of more possibly being on the way? Where is "This One" in the middle of all of this?

  The thought comes ever so slowly, and only after I have expressed my thoughts and feelings to Him...that perhaps He is in the same place He was when Peter was about to be sifted in Luke 22:32. Jesus (also known as "This One") tells Peter who is about to be sifted, "But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail."  Jesus could be preparing the way for us through this next trial by laying the ground work of prayer. This One loves us all just as much as He loved Peter. He loves us enough to intercede for us. Romans 8:34 says this, " Christ Jesus who died- more than that, who is raised to life- is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us." These verses begin grab a hold of my heart and become the beginnings of my vantage point.

   Life can be peaceful depending on what vantage point you are viewing it from. Where you position yourself can greatly effect your ability to have peace. As I turn these thoughts over and over in my mind I receive a text from my mom. " God is in control. Gotta remember that!"  She has already positioned herself. From her vantage point she has peace.

       I hold on tightly to this thought today, that if I position myself in Jesus I will have peace. If my vantage point in life comes from surrender, resting in the palm of His hand...then I will be wrapped in tranquility. I will have peace no matter what happens to the ones I love, or what takes place in the world around me.













No comments:

Post a Comment