Monday, January 30, 2017

The Girl...

    A few weeks ago,  I stood in the hallway waiting for the food pantry guests to come through for prayer. It was a somewhat busy night. There were kids running around and mothers trying to catch them. In the middle of all of the noise and the chaos, a little girl stopped running down the hallway long enough to look at the cross hanging on the wall...and then she knelt. Despite all that was going on around her, and a big brother who was trying to get her back to her seat in the sanctuary...she stopped and knelt in front of the cross. I watched as she folded her hands and closed her eyes. Even thought she wasn't there long, it felt to me like the room stood still. When she had finished, she got up and followed her brother into the sanctuary. In my mind's eye, I still see her there kneeling and praying in the midst of the chaos surrounding her.

   Last week was a chaotic week for me and for our country.  Several executive orders flew off of the desk of the President and millions of lives were changed in an instant. There's a lot of tension in the aftermath. Perhaps that's why I can't stop thinking about that little girl.  I don't think I have ever felt the need to kneel more...to pray for our leaders more, than I did this past week. There is no better posture in the midst of tension, than to humbly kneel before the cross. People have been choosing positions for a while now...busy taking sides as if everything can be sorted into black or white. I can't get the thought out of my head, that there is only one position in life for the Christian. The only place we should be positioning ourselves is at the foot of the cross, in allegiance to Christ. There is only one view point that matters...Christ's. Because of this, I need to hit my knees and be that little girl in the midst of this world of chaos and tension. Let the world stand still, the social media be silent, listen to His voice, and simply ask my Savior, "What do You say?"

     "What do You say?"  What if we asked God this question more, instead of being so quick to have our own say in things? How would this change our viewpoint of the current events? Would we find that our thoughts, feelings, and opinions line up with what truly matters to Him... and with what His Word says? How would asking Him this question change the way we respond to the differing opinions of others? Would God find that our natural way of responding points to His Spirit living within us? Or do our responses to others bear no resemblance to the merciful One who loved us at our ugliest, forgave us, and set us free? These are all questions that we will find answers to when we kneel before the cross.

   We live in times that are going to require us to make choices, that we thought only people in other countries have to make. We are continually being put in the position of choosing who we are going to pledge our allegiance to. Is the church going to fall prey to the devil's schemes involving chaos and fear, and close our hearts and homes to those who are different from us? Is the church going to forget who she belongs to and pick a political party, leader, or an ideology to be her Savior? Or will she pledge allegiance to the One who has loved her enough to die for her and raise her back to life? Does she love Christ enough to drop to her knees in the middle of the chaos, silence her own opinions, and sit quietly with child like faith...waiting for the answer to the question "What do You say?"

    In these times especially, I need to be like that little girl. I need to kneel before I speak. I need to pause in the chaos of life. I need to fall on my knees more quickly and pray to the only One who can meet me right there, right in the middle of it all. I need to refuse to get up or to be interrupted until I have left it there at the cross...until I have heard the answer to the question "What do You say?". Only then can I run off free and joyful- just like the girl. Anyone else?


 


No comments:

Post a Comment